Circumnavigating the world through Human Power while connecting different societies, civilizations and landscapes.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Expedition stopped in Karakorum, Mongolia until March 2013


Karakorum (near Kharkhorin, Ovörkhangai Province, Mongolia)
In the vicinity of the Erdene Zuu Monastery, in Karakorum, the ancient capital of the Mongolian empire.


Location: 47° 11′ 795″ N102° 51′  292″ E  Click here to see the last location recorded on findmespot.com

463 kms completed since Ulaan Baatar.
Summer/Fall 2012 section: 4049 kms completed since Yakutsk.


On Friday Nov 2d 2012, I decided to stop cycling until late March 2013, because I was facing subsequent snow storms, lower temperatures (-25C), a smaller amount of daylight hours per day and finally had to deal with a bad case of food poisoning.

I was lucky enough to be staying then in a warm ger at the Mönkhsuuri guesthouse in Kharkhorin, in the vicinity of the Erdene Zuu Monastery, in Karakorum, the ancient capital of the Mongol Empire.



Of course, the thought of getting back to trekking and skiing while pulling my old sled, (as I used to do in  Far North Eastern Russia  and Alaska during winter months) crossed my mind but knowing that I will definitely be able to make faster progress on a bicycle when I return in Spring 2013, I decided to be reasonable and stop
 in the close vicinity of the Erdene Zuu Monastery, in Karakorum, the ancient capital of the Mongol Empire.

I definitely want to write much more, post pictures and videos on the last section I went through, as well as write about future plans but for the time being I have pressing issues to address that I need to prioritize carefully during my limited time off my bike.
Stay tuned!





The maps below should give you an idea of what I have accomplished so far, what remains to be done and the wide array of options I am currently considering.










No comments: