Circumnavigating the world through Human Power while connecting different societies, civilizations and landscapes.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Leaving Russia in the next few hours!

There is so much I want to write on what I have experienced since my last post while spending time in Paren, Manily, Korf-Tilichiki, and Petropavlosk-Kamchatka on my return home... and I will do so soon as well as post pictures and edited videos!

However, for the time being, here is a very quick update: I was not able to leave Northwestern Kamchatka promptly because I faced a complete unexpected lack of transportation. No land (wezdehedod, urals,snowmobiles), Air (helicopters, planes) or water transport (Barges, small or larger boats) were available in this remote part of the Russian federation and I had to wait for 18 days for transport to leave the town of Paren in Koryaki Kamchatka Okrug.

Recent events:

May 13th 2010: I arrived in the village of Paren, ready to leave and depart Russia as soon as possible.

May 31st 2010: I was able to depart Paren on the first small boat able to leave and arrived in Manily, Kamchatka.

June 3rd 2010: I was able to depart Manily on the first postal helicopter and arrived in Tilichiki, Kamchatka.

June 5th 2010: I was able to depart Tilichiki on the first plane and arrived in Petropavlosk-Kamchatka.

June 7th 2010: I was able to depart Petropavlosk-Kamchatka and arrived in Moscow.

June 8th 2010: Today, I am departing Moscow, finally able to leave the country through the fastest route I could get since leaving the village of Paren, on May 31st 2011.

At this stage, I plan to return next winter in February 2011 to continue forward towards the Magadanskaya Oblast (Verkhniy-Paren, Chaybukha, Evensk, Tavatum, Omsukchan). Indeed, I need to wait until February 2011 to potentially be able to benefit from stable solidly frozen rivers and consequently established zimnik-winter roads to travel on as efficiently and swiftly as possible between Verkhniy-Paren and Omsukchan.

In the meantime, I very much want to thank once again everyone, friends, sponsors and administrative representatives who has helped me on the ground in Chukotka and Kamchatka , back home in Seattle as well as in Moscow and Kazan to be able to complete successfully this 2010 challenging section of 700 beautiful kilometers of Russian tundra.

Dimitri Kieffer
Nexus expeditions

2 comments:

Cinnamon said...

Congrats on a safe voyage! Looking forward to seeing you and your GF in Monterey for tales.

Pavel Yashkin said...

Hi, Dimitry!
I am very glad, that you have made the planned transition! I am proud of you!
I now in Khabarovsk, in holiday. To winter again I shall come back on Chukotka. I shall watch your successes on travels! Inform all remarkable news on the site. All my good wishes for you!